Bogut retires from NBA, signs with Sydney NBL team for 2 years

first_img‘Stop romanticizing Pinoy resilience’ Andrew Bogut. APSYDNEY — Former No. 1 draft pick Andrew Bogut has quit the NBA and plans to play the next two seasons for the Sydney Kings in Australia’s National Basketball League.The big Australian center told a Kings news conference Tuesday there are “no outs” in his deal if an NBA team should become interested.ADVERTISEMENT Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Bogut was selected by the Milwaukee Bucks as the No. 1 overall pick in the 2005 draft. He played seven years with the Bucks before a move to Golden State, where he won an NBA championship in 2015.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Jo Koy draws ire for cutting through Cebu City traffic with ‘wang-wang’ P16.5-M worth of aid provided for Taal Volcano eruption victims — NDRRMC Scientists seek rare species survivors amid Australia flames Green group flags ‘overkill’ use of plastic banderitas in Manila Sto. Niño feast MOST READ Truck driver killed in Davao del Sur road accident Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding The 33-year-old Bogut also said he’d like to play for Australia at next year’s World Cup and at the Tokyo Olympics in 2020.He revealed last month that he wouldn’t be returning to the NBA this season in order to remain in Australia with his pregnant wife.After being waived by the Los Angeles Lakers in January, it was expected the free agent would join a contending team for a playoff push.But Bogut said at the time he’d stay in Australia and focus on returning in the 2018-19 season. He tweeted that his wife’s pregnancy with their second child has been deemed “high-risk” and she’s not allowed to travel.Bogut played 24 games for the Lakers after signing last September, averaging 1.5 points and 3.3 rebounds while starting five games. He was acquired by Cleveland in the second half of last season, but he fractured his left leg less than a minute into his debut with the Cavaliers.ADVERTISEMENT A 13-year NBA veteran and championship winner, Bogut said he had always intended to return to Australia and it was only a question of when.“Before anyone asks, no NBA outs, no European outs,” Bogut said. “I’m committed to being here for two years … it will retire me from the NBA, I’m happy to say that today.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownBogut signed with the Kings, who finished next-to-last in the eight-team league last season, despite interest from his hometown Melbourne United. He said his contract included a 10 percent stake in the Kings when he retires, and an option to buy a bigger interest in the club.“I want some skin in the game, I want to see how viable this is and see where it’s going,” he said. “If it goes as well as I think it will there is no reason why I won’t put my own money in as well.” Stephen Curry signs broad production deal with Sony Pictures Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES View commentslast_img