Best of the Best Regatta on final leg this weekend in Nassau

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, December 4, 2017 – Nassau – Minister of Agriculture & Marine Resources, Renward R. Wells, held a press conference last week to update on The Bahamas’ second annual hosting of the Final Stretch of the “Best of the Best” Regatta, scheduled for December 7 thru 10, 2017 at Montagu Bay.   Minister Wells said that more than 50 boats are participating in the A, B and C classes and the Ministry has done its part to ensure the level of participation lives up to the name “Best of the Best.”He added that boat owners and captains will continue to inform the Ministry of what is needed to prepare for what may well be the most competitive weekend of sloop sailing in the history of The Bahamas — anticipating the weekend will be a ‘clash of the champions,’ this Thursday.“Speaking of champions, I am pleased that we will also be hosting the year-end race event for the Star Sailor’s League.  Sailors from around the world have begun arriving and training in Montagu Harbour for what, too, will be a very competitive race,” said Minister Wells.“As a fellow Olympian and a proud Bahamian, I am particularly pleased that we will be hosting a number of Olympic gold medalists and world champions in this race.   I thank Mr. Robert Dunkley and the Nassau Yacht Club team for their work in staging the races along with the Star Sailor’s League.   I am particularly delighted to announce that our own Olympic Gold medal winner, The Sea Wolf, Sir Durward Knowles, will be out to view the races.”#MagneticMediaNews#BestoftheBestRegattaPhoto credit: Life on The Hook Related Items:#BestoftheBestRegatta, #magneticmedianewslast_img read more

Read More →

ShortTerm Relief from Boehner Resignation Unlikely to Translate into LongTerm Budget Deal

first_imgHouse Speaker John Boehner’s surprise announcement that he would retire next month appears to have averted the possibility of a government shutdown this week, but it may have ended the chances for a bipartisan deal to relax the statutory spending caps and advance a fiscal 2016 omnibus spending bill.The end result could be a full-year continuing resolution.With hard-line conservatives in the House emboldened by Boehner’s departure, the new speaker almost certainly will find it more difficult to negotiate a bipartisan budget agreement that loosens the caps, reports CQ. A new House leader could be forced to make concessions to conservatives, limiting his ability to negotiate higher spending levels with Democrats.And time spent by the House Republican conference over the next several weeks filling leadership positions likely will come at the expense of a focus on budget negotiations. The multitude of other deadlines hitting at the end of the year — the need to raise the debt ceiling and extend expiring tax breaks — also could lead to lawmakers resorting to a full-year CR to keep the government running, according to the story.“Boehner bought us two months of government funding but his decision leaves a colossal mess in December. I expect either a shutdown, a default or both,” said Scott Lilly, a former top Democratic staff member on the House Appropriations Committee.Other Capitol Hill sources, however, don’t view Boehner’s retirement as a hindrance to a budget deal, since Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) already was considered the key GOP cog that would work with the White House and Democrats on the budget. McConnell previously has said reaching an agreement over the FY 2016 budget will require a deal with the Obama administration that raises the spending caps.Perhaps the right combination of budget offsets and omnibus concessions could gain sufficient support from conservatives to forge a bipartisan deal, according to CQ. Dan Cohen AUTHORlast_img read more

Read More →

8 killed at Irmahit Florida nursing home

first_imgThe Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills is seen in Hollywood, north of Miami, Florida, US. Photo: ReutersEight residents died at a Florida nursing home which has been without power since Hurricane Irma and the state governor vowed a full investigation Wednesday into what he called an “unfathomable” event.The nursing home deaths brought the total number of storm-related fatalities in Florida to 20 and illustrated the urgency of restoring electricity to millions of people across the southern state.Around 115 residents of the retirement home in Hollywood, north of Miami, were immediately evacuated after a nearby hospital began receiving patients suffering from heat-related problems.“It’s a sad event,” Hollywood police chief Tomas Sanchez told a news conference. “We believe at this time they (the deaths) may be related to the loss of power in the storm.”Governor Rick Scott said he was “absolutely heartbroken” to learn of the deaths of the elderly retirees.“I am going to aggressively demand answers on how this tragic event took place,” Scott said in a statement. “Although the details of these reported deaths are still under investigation, this situation is unfathomable.”The governor said he has ordered a probe by state authorities.“If they find that anyone wasn’t acting in the best interests of their patients, we will hold them accountable to the fullest extent of the law,” he said.Sanchez, the police chief, said a criminal investigation had been launched.The Sun-Sentinel newspaper, citing the Broward County Medical Examiner’s Office, said the eight people who died were between the ages of 71 and 99 years old.Dr. Randy Katz, medical director of the emergency department at Memorial Regional Hospital, said the hospital began receiving patients early on Wednesday.“(We) quickly identified some issues inside the facility with fire rescue and immediately evacuated the building,” Katz said.He said most of the patients admitted to the hospital have been treated for respiratory distress, dehydration and heat-related issues.Florida officials have made restoring electricity to the millions who have lost power a priority and tens of thousands of utility company workers, many from out of state, are engaged in the huge effort.Heartbreak for some returneesFlorida residents who evacuated ahead of the storm were facing lengthy traffic jams, meanwhile, as they returned to check out their homes after days in shelters or with friends or family.Irma, which made landfall Sunday morning in the Florida Keys as a Category Four hurricane, had triggered orders for more than six million people to flee to safety, one of the biggest evacuations in US history.Some residents of the Keys were met with scenes of devastation on Tuesday after police lifted roadblocks and began allowing people to return to the string of islands off Florida’s southern coast.At least a quarter of the homes in the Keys were destroyed, according to federal emergency management officials, and 65 percent suffered some damage.The storm also cut off power, water and sewage to the islands, which are home to some 70,000 people.“Bad, it’s real bad,” Keys resident Bryan Holley told NBC News.“It’s gonna take months, maybe years to get this cleaned up,” said Holley, who ignored orders to evacuate and braved the storm on Cudjoe Key.President Donald Trump and his wife, Melania, were to visit Florida to survey the damage on Thursday.Macron pledges relief fundFrench President Emmanuel Macron was visiting the Caribbean island of Saint Barthelemy on Wednesday, a day after travelling to the French-Dutch island of Saint Martin.France, Britain and the Netherlands have come in for criticism for the pace of relief efforts for their overseas territories ravaged by the storm.Islanders have complained of a breakdown in law and order and widespread shortages of food, water and electricity.Touring Saint Martin, Macron was at times jeered by people waiting for aid supplies or hoping to catch flights for France in order to escape the devastation across the island.Macron pledged on Saint Barthelemy, population 9,000, that an emergency relief fund for victims would be operational by Monday.Hurricane Irma caused extensive damage in the French and Dutch overseas territories as well as the British and US Virgin Islands.British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson was visiting the British Virgin Islands and Anguilla on Wednesday and pledged “absolute commitment” to Britons there.His visit came as British Prime Minister Theresa May announced an extra £25 million ($33.2 million, 27.2 million euros) in aid for Caribbean territories devastated by Hurricane Irma.A day earlier Johnson visited Bridgetown, the capital of Barbados, and met with some of the nearly 1,000 British military personnel sent to bolster relief efforts and security.King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands has also toured Sint Maarten, the Dutch section of the island shared with France, meeting residents on Saba island, and was set to travel to Sint Eustatius, which suffered severe damage.last_img read more

Read More →

IS fighter wants to return to Italy

first_imgMounsef al-Mkhayar, 22, an Islamic state fighter of Morrocan descent and Italian citizenship, gestures during an interview with Reuters, in Qamishli, Syria 9 March, 2019. Photo: ReutersAn Islamic State fighter detained in Syria urged Italy on Saturday to let him come home to start a new life, saying he had abandoned the self-styled jihadist “caliphate” after growing disillusioned with its rulers.Mounsef al-Mkhayar, a 22-year-old of Moroccan descent who grew up in Italy, spoke to Reuters in his first interview since surrendering to the U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) two months ago.He has been in prison since emerging from Baghouz, a tiny village in eastern Syria where the SDF is poised to wipe out the last vestige of Islamic State rule – which once spanned a third of Iraq and Syria.Mkhayar gave an account of growing chaos among jihadists on the brink of defeat, and of disputes in the ranks as top commanders fled Syria.But he said Islamic State was also planning for the next phase, smuggling out hundreds of men to set up sleeper cells across Iraq and eastern Syria: “They said ‘We must get revenge.'”Mkhayar is one of thousands from all over the world who were drawn to the promise of an ultra-radical Sunni Islamist utopia overriding national borders. Kurdish security officials identified him as Italian, and he said he holds Italian citizenship.”I wish to return to Italy to my family and friends … for them to accept and help me to live a new life,” said Mkhayar, who walks on crutches after shelling injured his leg. “I just want to get out of this movie, I’m tired.”FROM MILAN TO MAYADINMkhayar was sentenced to eight years in jail by a Milan court in 2017 for spreading Islamic State propaganda and trying to recruit Italians to its cause, according to Italian media. As a result, he is likely to have to serve this sentence if he does return to Italy.Reuters interviewed him at a security office in northern Syria in the presence of an SDF official.As it nears victory, the SDF has struggled with the dilemma of holding fighters who travelled from abroad to join Islamic State along with women and children.Before the final assault on Baghouz, the Kurdish-led SDF said it had around 800 foreign militants in jails and 2,000 of their wives and children in camps. Since then, the numbers have ballooned.The SDF wants them sent back where they came from. But foreign governments generally do not want to receive citizens who may be hard to prosecute, and who pledged allegiance to a caliphate that left behind of a trail of butchery.Once an atheist with an affinity for rap music and a dream of moving to America, Mkhayar joined Islamic State at 18.He said he had spent most of his life in Milan with an aunt he calls his mother, before being placed in a home for troubled youths overseen by an Italian priest. He spent a month in prison on drugs charges.Then he began immersing himself in Islamic State videos on YouTube and speaking to recruiters on Facebook. It took him only a month to decide to move to Syria with a friend four years ago.His friend was later killed on the battlefield. After military and religious training, Mkhayar fought on various fronts. As Islamic State lost its Syrian headquarters at Raqqa, he left for Mayadin on the Euphrates river in Syria, then moved further east across the desert, towards the Iraqi border.”WE’RE GETTING OUT”Amid a string of military defeats in eastern Syria, Islamic State leaders were in disarray, killing off rival clerics and commanders known as emirs, Mkhayar said.He said he had tried to quit the fighting but had been imprisoned, and then dispatched back to the frontlines as attacks intensified.He wound up in Baghouz, where he said the jihadists were split between wanting to give up or fight to the death.Mkhayar said his wife, a Syrian Kurdish woman from Kobani whom he had married three years ago, helped convince him to leave.”‘That’s it,’ we said, ‘we’re getting out.’ I saw my little daughter turning weak. I was scared my children would die.”Mkhayar said he could not sleep thinking about his wife and two daughters in a camp for displaced people in another part of northeast Syria. His wife is due to give birth in a month.He said he still believed in the idea of a caliphate for Muslims, but accused Islamic State rulers of governing their land like “a mafia”, seeking only to make money and violating their own rules with impunity.Commanders had stolen money and fled to Turkey, Iraq or Western Europe while ordering people to stay and defend Islam, he said.”This is my belief and I won’t change it, but here in Islamic State, in reality this doesn’t exist … There is no justice,” he said.”Honestly, I came here too fast … When I arrived, I found another story.”last_img read more

Read More →

Microsoft Security Essentials misses AVTest Certified status

first_img This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. Citation: Microsoft Security Essentials misses AV-Test Certified status (2013, January 18) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2013-01-microsoft-essentials-av-test-certified-status.html Explore further © 2013 Phys.org More information: blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archi … st-test-results.aspxcenter_img AV-Test is an independent testing lab based in Germany. As a service provider in IT security and anti-virus research, they aim at detecting and analyzing malware, and informing customers of results. Their work is done at laboratories in Magdeburg and Leipzig.Microsoft’s site presents Microsoft Security Essentials as “built for individuals and small businesses, but “based on the same technology that Microsoft uses to protect giant businesses.”Microsoft missed certification by one point on the current test. In the previous failure the company missed certification by half a point. “During November and December 2012 we continuously evaluated 25 home user security products using their default settings,” said the AV-Test account of its recent testing. “We always used the most current publicly-available version of all products for the testing. They were allowed to update themselves at any time and query their in-the-cloud services. We focused on realistic test scenarios and challenged the products against real-world threats. Products had to demonstrate their capabilities using all components and protection layers.”Microsoft, meanwhile, issued a statement regarding the test results. “We continually evaluate and look at ways to improve our processes. We know from feedback from customers that industry testing is valuable, and their tests do help us improve,” said Joe Blackbird, program manager, Microsoft Malware Protection Center, in a response. “We’re committed to reducing our 0.0033 percent margin to zero.”On Microsoft’s side, he said, “We conduct a rigorous review of the results whenever test results warrant it. We take the protection of our customers very seriously, and the investments we make to do these reviews is an example of that commitment.”At the same time, he said, it was difficult for independent anti-malware testing organizations to devise “tests that are consistent with the real-world conditions that customers live in.” Blackbird reviewed a number of points, using figures to support his views. He offered “some key upfront data points to keep in mind.” Among the points listed in his response: “AV-Test’s test results indicate that our products detected 72 percent of all ‘0-day malware’ using a sample size of 100 pieces of malware. We know from telemetry from hundreds of millions of systems around the world that 99.997 percent of our customers hit with any 0-day did not encounter the malware samples tested in this test.” Microsoft anti-virus program evicts Chrome browser (Phys.org)—Microsoft Security Essentials failed another certification test by independent testing lab, AV-Test Institute. The group publishes test results every two months. Microsoft Security Essentials 4.1 was among three failures, in the testing that was done for the months of November and December 2012. The testing looked at over two dozen consumer antivirus security programs. The other two that failed certification were PC Tools Internet Security 2012 and AhnLab Internet Security 8.0.last_img read more

Read More →