Former President Miguel Archanco involves Thebes in a plot to descend to Osasuna

first_imgThe one who was president of Osasuna between 2012 and 2014 Miguel Archanco, has affirmed that the club “has not rigged matches, nor has it paid amounts to players from other clubs” for that purpose and that “the only time” they paid was because a third party, Betis, won against Valladolid in 2014, since it favored interest for that the Navarrese team could remain in First Division. Away from the Vizcay demonstrations, alluding to love affairs by the Navarrese entity under Archando’s mandate, This one totally changed the version and referred to an alleged plot between Valladolid and Granada to induce the decline of the Pamplonians:“We descended Betis, Valladolid and us, and Granada was saved because it won zero to one and Valladolid scored a goal in its own goal at the end of the first half”, The former Osasunista president opened.-What went wrong those last two days that hurt Osasuna?The question at the trial by the prosecutor had a quick response from the ex-president: “The agreements between Granada and Valladolid”– Were there agreements?And Archanco threw the bomb: “Look at the emails that cross Carlos Suárez (former president of Real Valladolid), Mr. Tebas and the president of Granada (Quique Pina) …”. In addition, the former ‘rojillo’ said that certain outflows of money he knows from that stage were due to the payment of Osasuna players’ premiums, and the payment of signings for example, Sporting de Gijón or the University of Chile.Archanco pronounced himself this Tuesday at the second session of the trial in the Osasuna case, after this Tuesday former manager Angel Vizcay acknowledged that there were several outflows of money to pay for match fixing or bonuses to third teams to try to achieve the salvation of Osasuna in the First Division.The prosecutor asked Archanco about the money outflows that occurred in May 2013, which occurred, according to Vizcay, for the match-fixing, about what the former president has indicated that his signature does not appear and that sometimes “decisions were taken behind him.”Yes, he affirmed that before the possibility of losing the category, in 2014 the option of paying a bonus to Betis players to win against Valladolid was explored, considering that paying to win was not “predetermining the result”. Archanco has acknowledged that a payment of 400,000 euros was authorized for that game and has assured that it was Vizcay who made the “voluntary” efforts. “I didn’t order anything,” he said.last_img read more

Read More →

Release of prisoners in Costa Rica angers politicians tourism industry

first_imgA recent court ruling ordering the gradual release of nearly 400 prisoners from Gerardo Rodríguez penitentiary in Alajuela has been met with criticism from some lawmakers, officials and tourism industry leaders.The Peace and Justice Ministry announced on April 21 that it would release 380 prisoners over the next two months, in accordance with a March ruling from Judge Mario Rodríguez. The ruling was in response to rampant overcrowding in the country’s prisons.To qualify for release, prisoners must have been convicted of a low-level crime, like robbery, fraud, extortion or small-scale drug dealing. They must have a maximum seven-year sentence and must have good behavior reports void of any disciplinary sanctions within the past six months, according to the Justice Ministry.This is the second time in the past year that the Justice Ministry has released prisoners or reduced sentences in an attempt to address overcrowding. The first effort, announced in November of last year, was also met with outrage from lawmakers and some government officials, and fear from some members of the public.Costa Rica’s Chief Prosecutor Jorge Chavarría responded to the most recent decision harshly, saying that if the Justice Ministry continues to release convicted prisoners, he would seek harsher penalties against the accused in the future and push against expedited legal proceedings.Justice Minister Cecilia Sánchez called Chavarría’s comments “unfortunate” and “inappropriate.”“It worries me greatly that the Chief Prosecutor would threaten to limit the application of legally established procedures unless the Ministry of Justice disobeys the order of a judge,” Sánchez said. She lamented what she called the “unfortunate interference” with the Justice Ministry’s jurisdiction and said the objectivity of the Prosecutor’s Office had been compromised because of Chavarría’s threat.Prison System Director Reynaldo Villalobos told The Tico Times that the ministry has to comply with the judicial order.“We’re put in charge of finding ways to best incorporate them back into society,” Villalobos said of the prisoners to be released. “They will continue to be supervised in our semi-institutional programs.”Villalobos said prison officials had already begun taking prisoners out of Gerardo Rodríguez, which he said is 39 percent over capacity. The goal is to get overpopulation at the prison down to 20 percent.The released prisoners will be placed in jobs or educational programs, and Villalobos said they will continue to be monitored.See also: Prison overcrowding in Costa Rica jumps 50 percent in 10 years Two men locked up in La Reforma prison in Alajuela during a November trip to the detention center. Álvaro Sánchez/The Tico TimesLawmakers from various political parties recently sent a petition to President Luis Guillermo Solís, asking him to stop the release of prisoners and saying it was insulting to victims and their families. On Friday, the National Tourism Chamber (CANATUR) and the Costa Rican Hotels Chamber released a joint statement, saying they “feared the uptick in insecurity and its negative impact on the country’s image.”CANATUR President Pablo Abarca said the chambers are asking Solís to look into the legality of the judge’s ruling, adding that convicted criminals being released back onto the streets could reverse the tourism industry’s efforts to help boost Costa Rica’s economy.“The tourism sector makes great efforts towards economic prosperity, but we fear that businesses will be affected now more than ever as we turn to the low season,” Abarca said. “We’re respectfully calling for the president to not harm the favorable momentum that the sector has had in the past year.”Gustavo Araya, president of the Hotels Chamber, said the release of prisoners could prompt a travel warning from the U.S. Department of State, though no such warning has been issued.“Perception is always important when it comes to security,” Araya said. “Unfortunately, there’s a perception of increased insecurity, which is further altered by this political decision.”Representatives from both chambers said they would continue fighting to reverse the ruling.No more prisoners will be accepted at the Gerardo Rodríguez prison during the two-month “deinstitutionalization process” in which the qualifying prisoners will be put into monitored social programs.Costa Rica’s current system of 13 prisons has space for slightly more than 9,000 inmates yet houses more than 13,000, according to a recent report from the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR).The IACHR released a report on Costa Rican prisons in March after its representatives visited San Sebastián prison in San José and La Reforma prison in Alajuela.In its report, the IACHR recommended that the Costa Rican government strongly consider prison reforms and avoid reliance on pretrial detention as a regular practice.Nearly one-fifth of the country’s detainee population is in pretrial detention. Facebook Comments Related posts:Debate continues over pregnancy of girl allegedly raped by father Cuba Dave set to finish year in preventive prison on allegations of promoting sex tourism Judge orders closure of overcrowded San Sebastián prison President Solís to discuss migration, green energy with US Vice President Joe Bidenlast_img read more

Read More →