India’s golden shooting spree

first_imgOmkar, Vijay bag gold; Gagan and Imran join the party too It appears India’s record of 16 shooting gold at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games will obliterated soon. On Friday, Omkar Singh and Vijay Kumar clinched gold in 10m air pistol and 25m rapid fire pistol events respectively. This was Omkar’s third gold of the Delhi games; for Vijay, it was his second.Another gold came through the men’s 50m rifle 3 position pair of Gagan Narang and Imran Hassan Khan. In the men’s trap pairs, Manavjit Singh Sandhu and Mansher Singh combined to shoot an unprecedented 197 birds, only for Australia to pip them to the gold by one bird.Add to this a bronze won by Gurpreet Singh in rapid fire, and India’s tally after Day 4 of the nine- day shooting event stands at 10 gold, seven silver and a bronze.Narang, who is targeting six gold medals, won his third in as many events, thanks to an outstanding 397/ 400 in the prone round. He then shot identical 385s in the standing and kneeling rounds, while Khan shot 395, 381 and 382 to help India break the 16- year- old Games record of 2,300 points with 2,325.In the meantime, Vijay had broken his own record of 581 by shooting 583 in qualification for rapid fire. Gurpreet shot 569 to lie third, heading into the final. Vijay then shot an excellent 204.5 to beat his final record from Melbourne as well, setting 787.5 as the new benchmark.Despite one off- target shot, Malaysia’s Amir Hasan held on for silver, ahead of a surging Gurpreet.advertisementNavy’s Omkar equalled Samaresh Jung’s qualification record of 584 in 10m air pistol to be four points clear of Singapore’s Bin Gai and then shot 97.8 in the final to finish with three gold and a silver in his four events. Gurpreet finished fifth.There was disappointment for India in women’s trap pairs as they could only finish fifth. Australia won the gold, England got the silver and Canada took bronze.But the real battle of the day was in the men’s trap pairs where Australia’s Michael Diamond and Adam Vella, touted as the best trap team in the world, took on India’s vastly experienced Manavjit and Mansher.Mansher shot a brilliant 99 while Manavjit, who had shot 23 in his first round, went perfect over the next three series to finish with 98 and help India get to 197, a Games record.Vella also finished with 98, but two- time Olympic champion Diamond made it a perfect 100/ 100 to help Australia edge ahead.After the match, Mansher paid rich tribute to Diamond’s performance.”It had to be someone like Michael to beat us because nobody else in the world manages to do what he does regularly. This is what happens in shooting – you do so well and yet lose because somebody else has had a stellar day,” Mansher told Mail Today. The shooter, backed by the National Sports Development Fund, defended his teammate Manavjit, saying his was no mean score either.”Yes he did shoot 23 in the first round but then again, he shot 75 straight thereafter. It was a heavy load to carry and he did magnificently,” Mansher said.last_img read more

Read More →

Best of the Best Regatta on final leg this weekend in Nassau

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, December 4, 2017 – Nassau – Minister of Agriculture & Marine Resources, Renward R. Wells, held a press conference last week to update on The Bahamas’ second annual hosting of the Final Stretch of the “Best of the Best” Regatta, scheduled for December 7 thru 10, 2017 at Montagu Bay.   Minister Wells said that more than 50 boats are participating in the A, B and C classes and the Ministry has done its part to ensure the level of participation lives up to the name “Best of the Best.”He added that boat owners and captains will continue to inform the Ministry of what is needed to prepare for what may well be the most competitive weekend of sloop sailing in the history of The Bahamas — anticipating the weekend will be a ‘clash of the champions,’ this Thursday.“Speaking of champions, I am pleased that we will also be hosting the year-end race event for the Star Sailor’s League.  Sailors from around the world have begun arriving and training in Montagu Harbour for what, too, will be a very competitive race,” said Minister Wells.“As a fellow Olympian and a proud Bahamian, I am particularly pleased that we will be hosting a number of Olympic gold medalists and world champions in this race.   I thank Mr. Robert Dunkley and the Nassau Yacht Club team for their work in staging the races along with the Star Sailor’s League.   I am particularly delighted to announce that our own Olympic Gold medal winner, The Sea Wolf, Sir Durward Knowles, will be out to view the races.”#MagneticMediaNews#BestoftheBestRegattaPhoto credit: Life on The Hook Related Items:#BestoftheBestRegatta, #magneticmedianewslast_img read more

Read More →

Interim budget 2019 Goyal mentions RBI action on stressed banks early in

first_imgThe central bank’s regulatory decision to remove three lenders from the prompt corrective action (PCA) regime has found a mention in the budget speech.Railway and Coal Minister Piyush Goyal, standing in for ailing Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, made mention of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) decision in the earlier part of his speech while presenting the interim budget for the 2019-20 financial year.Goyal mentioned the RBI action of removing from the prompt corrective action (PCA) framework the banks – Bank of India (BoI), Bank of Maharashtra (Mahabank), and Oriental Bank of Commerce (OBC) – as an instance of the Narendra Modi government’s promptness in taking corrective action in case of stressed banks.The RBI on Thursday removed from the prompt corrective action (PCA) framework the three banks that informed it of structural and systemic improvements they have made to meet the regulatory norms.The banks have told the RBI they would on an ongoing basis comply with the norms of minimum regulatory capital, net non-performing assets (NPA) and leverage ratio, a media report says.Their removal from the PCA framework will lift the restrictions on their carrying out normal business, particularly lending.The banks will be subject to close monitoring by the regulator.The central bank decision was based on a review of the banks’ performance December quarter (Q3).BoI and Mahabank have met the regulatory norms, including the capital conservation buffer (CCB) and have net non-performing assets (NPAs) of less than 6 per cent as per their third-quarter results, the RBI said in a statement.Mahabank has welcomed the RBI decision and said it would help the lender pursue a sharper growth trajectory. “We would like to thank the government for the recent capital infusion of Rs 4,498 crore and all our employees for their efforts to help us exit the PCA framework,” AS Rajeev, managing director and CEO, said in a statement. “As the bank steps out of the PCA framework, we aim to continue our higher growth trajectory and enhance lending to key sectors such as retail, agriculture and micro, small and medium enterprises.”The RBI took a lenient view of the OBC, though its net NPA was 7.15 per cent. The government’s infusion of more capital and the steps that the bank had taken to cut the net NPA to less than 6 per cent prompted the central bank to free OBC from the PCA framework.The RBI is sticking to the PCA framework norm to ensure the banks’ financial health. It helps banks, which are at the risk thresholds in areas such as capital, asset quality (net NPA), and profitability, to take timely corrective steps to restore financial health, a statement says.The central bank puts a lender under the PCA if the net NPA crosses 6 per cent, or it makes a loss for two consecutive years, or the capital adequacy falls below the 9 per cent regulatory requirement. Lenders in the PCA framework will face restrictions on big-ticket corporate loans, opening new branches, and hiring.The RBI had placed 12 banks under the PCA because of high levels of stressed assets and a poor financial profile. Apart from the three lenders now released from the PCA framework, the other banks were Mumbai-based IDBI Bank, Central Bank of India, Dena Bank, Corporation Bank, and Indian Overseas Bank, the Kolkata-based Allahabad Bank, United Bank of India and UCO Bank as also Dhanlaxmi Bank, a small South India-based bank, which is the only private sector lender in the PCA framework.last_img read more

Read More →

US Expands Remain In Mexico To Dangerous Part Of Border

first_img Share Rebecca Blackwell/APA migrant waiting to seek asylum sleeps at the entrance to the Puerta Mexico international bridge in Matamoros, Tamaulipas state, Mexico, Friday, June 28, 2019. Hundreds of migrants from Central America, South America, the Caribbean and Africa have been waiting, most in rented rooms or a distant shelter, for their number to be called at the bridge in downtown Matamoros, to have the opportunity to request asylum in the U.S.The U.S. government on Friday expanded its policy requiring asylum seekers to wait outside the country to one of Mexico’s most dangerous cities, where thousands of people are already camped, some for several months.The Department of Homeland Security said Friday that it would implement its Migrant Protection Protocols in Brownsville, Texas, across the border from Matamoros, Mexico. DHS says it anticipates the first asylum seekers will be sent back to Mexico starting Friday.Under the so-called “Remain in Mexico” policy, asylum seekers are briefly processed and given a date to return for an immigration court hearing before being sent back across the southern border. Since January, the policy has been implemented at several border cities including San Diego and El Paso, Texas.The U.S. is trying to curtail the large flow of Central American migrants passing through Mexico to seek asylum under American law. The busiest corridor for unauthorized border crossings is South Texas’ Rio Grande Valley, where Brownsville is located. Other cities in the Rio Grande Valley were not immediately included in the expansion.DHS said it had coordinated with the Mexican government on the policy. The Mexican government did not immediately respond to requests for comment. But the Trump administration has pressured Mexico to crack down on migrants, threatening earlier this year to impose crippling tariffs until both sides agreed on new measures targeting migration.Matamoros is at the eastern edge of the U.S.-Mexico border in Tamaulipas state, where organized crime gangs are dominant and the U.S. government warns citizens not to visit due to violence and kidnappings.The city is also near where a Salvadoran father and his 23-month-old daughter were found drowned in the Rio Grande, in photos that were shared around the world.Many people have slept for the last several months in a makeshift camp near one of the international bridges, including families with young children. Thousands more stay in hotels, shelters, or boarding houses. Only a few migrants daily have been allowed to seek asylum under another Trump administration policy limiting asylum processing known as “metering.”A list run by Mexican officials has more than 1,000 people on it, said Elisa Filippone, a U.S.-based volunteer who visits Matamoros several times a week to deliver food and donated clothes. But many others not on the list wait in shelters. There are frequent rumors that migrants are shaken down for bribes to join the list, Filippone said.She described a desperate situation that could be made worse if people are forced to wait longer in Mexico for their asylum claims to be processed. “I’m afraid that Matamoros is about to catch on fire,” she said.Filippone said Friday that she saw the camp closest to one of the bridges being cleared away, though it was not immediately clear why or where the people detained would go.DHS recently implemented the “Remain” policy for migrants in Nuevo Laredo, across from Laredo, Texas. About 1,800 asylum seekers and migrants are currently waiting in Nuevo Laredo, where some have reported being kidnapped and extorted by gangs. “I don’t want to go out on the street. I’m afraid the same men … will do something to me or my boys,” said one woman, insisting on speaking anonymously out of fear for their safety.People in Nuevo Laredo were told to return in September for U.S. court dates. At other points of the border, wait times have stretched to several months.Unlike in criminal court, the U.S. government does not have to provide lawyers to people in the immigration court system. Attorneys in South Texas have long questioned where they could meet with potential clients in Tamaulipas.Many migrants who get to the U.S. have exhausted all their resources by the time they arrive, said Lisa Brodyaga, an attorney who has represented asylum seekers for decades. “It would be extremely difficult for them to find attorneys who would have the time and the ability and the willingness to expose themselves to what’s going in Matamoros,” she said. “I’m not sure how it’s going to work.”last_img read more

Read More →