India grant visa to Pakistan squash contingent for World C’ship

first_imgKarachi, Jul 6 (PTI) The Indian High Commission has finally issued visas to the Pakistan squash contingent, allowing the team to participate in World Junior Squash Championships to be held in Chennai from July 17 to 29. Pakistan Squash Federation (PSF) secretary, Tahir Sultan said the visa for the last player in the contingent had been issued yesterday. We have now visas for the entire contingent comprising six players and three officials who will take part in the team and individual championships, he said. Initially, the Indian High Commission had returned the passports of the players and officials of PSF without granting them visa. Sultan claimed that it was after the PSF approached the World Squash Federation and Asian Squash Federation and asked them to cancel the event in India that the matter was resolved. We thank the World and Asian bodies for taking up our case and getting the Indian squash body to convince their government to issue us visas in a change of heart, he said. Sultan said that the World Junior Championship is an international event of the World Squash Federation and it has been given to India to host and there was no justification for keeping Pakistan team out of it. We had asked the concerned bodies and affiliated members to intervene and ensure we get the Indian visas or else the World Championship should not be held in India, he said. The PSF official said Pakistan was a pioneer in squash and had produced several world champions and top players.advertisement I would think that in India where the sport is becoming popular they would benefit from watching our team play there, he had said. PTI Cor ATKATKlast_img read more

Read More →

Jury to start hearing evidence in trial of suspect in Edmonton officer

first_imgEDMONTON — A jury is to start hearing evidence today in the trial of a man accused of stabbing an Edmonton police officer and striking four pedestrians with a van.Abdulahi Hasan Sharif, who is in his early 30s, faces 11 charges.They include five counts of attempted murder, aggravated assault against the police officer and dangerous driving.Const. Mike Chernyk was on duty outside a Canadian Football League game on Sept. 30, 2017, when a driver crashed through a barrier, got out of a vehicle, pulled out a large knife and began stabbing the officer.A few hours later, the driver of a speeding cube van hit and injured four pedestrians as it raced through the city’s downtown with police in pursuit.The trial in Court of Queen’s Bench is expected to last six weeks.This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 2, 2019.The Canadian Presslast_img read more

Read More →