Mourinho respect for Van Gaal

first_imgJose Mourinho has “deep respect” for new Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal – but the Chelsea boss is not concerned about their impending rivalry. The pair worked together for three years at Barcelona but will go head-to-head this season, with Van Gaal having taken the reins at Old Trafford following a successful World Cup with Holland. He has also won titles in Spain, Holland and Germany with Barca, Ajax and Bayern Munich, and said at his introductory press conference that he is aiming to add England to that list. Mourinho – whose Inter Milan side beat Van Gaal’s Bayern in the 2010 Champions League final – and Chelsea will be among the main rivals standing in his way. And the Portuguese told the Mail on Sunday: “I’m not worried about him being here. I look forward to playing against United. Nothing worries me. “I watched him at his press conference and he was pure Van Gaal – honest and open, the way he always is. “He is a very, very good coach, he’ll be great for Manchester United. “We are both great coaches. It’s what we were born to do. “Louis was the best coach in the World Cup and he is a good friend – really, a friend for life. I have deep respect for this man. “He is in the best period of his career. With coaching, if you deal with winning and losing in the right way, you improve. He analyses every experience. He has got better and better.” Van Gaal begins his Premier League career against Swansea on August 16, two days before Chelsea open their campaign against promoted Burnley. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Read More →

The Final Word: Syracuse defeats Hobart, 21-13, for 4th-straight win

first_img Comments AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Published on February 29, 2020 at 12:31 am Behind five-goal performances from Brendan Curry and Tucker Dordevic, No. 3 Syracuse (3-0) continued its undefeated start to the 2020 season and defeated No. 19 Hobart, 21-13. Missing senior close defensemen Nick Mellen for the third-straight game didn’t prevent the Orange from limiting the highest-scoring team — the Statesmen (3-0) — in the country (23 goals per game) to just 13.It’s the first time since 2016 the Orange have started 4-0, and their seventh-straight victory in the annual Kraus-Simmons Trophy matchup.Here’s what our beat writers had to say following Syracuse’s win.center_img Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Read More →

GECOM Office Among Three Buildings Set on Fire in Guyana

first_imgThey said the blaze at around 3.00 am (local time) badly damaged the building that had no electricity supply. Neighbours said they were able to bring the fire under control before the Fire Service . The police report stated that a number of louvre windows had been removed from the office and a liquid, suspected of being kerosene was found nearby. In his last report, which was not accepted by the GECOM chairman, retired justice Claudette Singh, Lownefield had said that the ruling coalition, A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) had defeated the main opposition People’s Progressive Party /Civic (POPP/C) The police said that the fire, which began at around 5.00 am (local time) was discovered by a police constable, who was making checks around the wooden building in the station compound when he noticed smoke emanating from the Office of the Regional Detective Inspectors and the Regional Prosecutor. The police said a security guard who was on duty said she heard a loud explosion at the back of the building and on investigation, saw two men running away from the area. Meanwhile, an investigation has been launched into an early morning fire that gutted a section of the Criminal Investigations Department of the Anna Regina Police Station. The police said the GECOM building at Wismar, Linden that lies on the Demerara River was reported on fire at 1.35 am (local time) and that fire officials were able to contain the fire to the one building. GEORGETOWN, Guyana – A building housing the sub-district of the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) was among three buildings set ablaze on Tuesday, police have confirmed. GECOM sub-office building after the fire A police report said the floor of the building was partially burnt along with the walls located on the northern and southern side. CMC The fire at GECOM comes as the country awaits the official results of the disputed March 2 regional and general election. GECOM is expected to meet on Tuesday to receive a new report from the Chief Elections Officer, Keith Lowenfield, indicating which of the political parties on the poll. The upper flat of the building was completely destroyed while the bottom flat was saved but sustained water and other damages. Nothing was saved from the inside of the building and the law enforcement authorities have since launch an investigation into the matter. Police said they are also investigating a fire at an unoccupied building at the Guyana Defence Force (GDF) Second Infantry Battalion Base at Maria Lodge on the Essequibo Coast.last_img read more

Read More →

Apology for Boateng racism remarks

first_imgSchalke financial officer Peter Peters has apologized after he suggested Kevin-Prince Boateng left Milan because of racist incidents.The board member had claimed on Monday that the attacker decided to join the Bundesliga club because of “too many racist incidents in Italy”.However, in a statement today, he has since retracted those remarks.“A statement made by Schalke finance director Peter Peters regarding the transfer of Kevin-Prince Boateng caused something of a stir on Monday, a misunderstanding that Peters deeply regrets,” a notice on the club’s official website read.“Having spoken to our general manager, Horst Heldt, my initial assumption proved to be completely wrong. He confirmed that racist incidents were definitely not the reason for Kevin’s move to Schalke.“As soon as I’m back at Schalke I will speak to Kevin personally and apologize for what I said. It was certainly not my intention to cast false aspersions on AC Milan or the Italian fans.”last_img read more

Read More →

March friendlies: Grant to give 3 youngsters opportunity in Stars callups

first_imgAvram Grant is set to make good his promise to give opportunities to young stars when Ghana engages in two friendlies later this month. The coach will name an expanded squad for this month’s double header in France where the Black Stars play Senegal and Mali. Both games will be on March 28 and 31 in Le Havre and Paris respectively.Joy Sports can report that Vitoria Guimaeres attacker Bernard Mensah will get his first senior call after missing out on the Afcon 2015 provisional squad.Also in the 27 man list will be former U-20 World Cup star Seidu Salifu who plays for Tunisian side Club Africaine. Another former youth star, Ebenezer Assifuah, as well as Sampdoria’s Alfred Duncan will be in the side.ReturnsIn-form Leicester City wingback Jeffrey Schlupp, after missing the Afcon through injury, is set for a return as Crystal Palace’s Kwesi Appiah will also be featured. Expected 27-man listGOALKEEPERS: Razak Brimah, Fatau Dauda, Ernest SowahDEFENDERS:Harrison Afful, Baba Rahman, Edwin Gyimah, John Boye, Daniel Amartey, Jonathan Mensah, Jeffrey SchluppMIDFIELDERS:Rabiu Mohammed, Afriyie Acquah, Emmanuel Agyemang Badu, Solomon Asante, Christian Atsu, Frank Acheampong, Mubarak Wakasu, Andre Ayew, David Accam, Alfred Duncan, Siedu Salifou. STRIKERS:Asamoah Gyan, Jordan Ayew, Mahatma Otoo, Kwesi Appiah, Ebenezer Assifuah, Bernard Mensah–last_img read more

Read More →