Undefeated Women of Troy travel for big weekend

first_imgThe undefeated No. 8 USC women’s tennis team (5-0) has a big weekend ahead with a trip to the Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Indoor Championships at the University of Wisconsin.The Women of Troy qualified for this competitive out-of-state action with victories against both San Diego and Auburn during qualifying play two weeks ago.Sixteen teams qualified to compete in the tournament this weekend, all of which are ranked in the top 20 in the country.No. 1 Duke and No. 2 Northwestern could be in the future for the Women of Troy if they can make it past the first few rounds.Last week, the Women of Troy also jumped up one spot in their ITA team ranking, from No. 9 to No. 8.“It’s a small change, so it doesn’t have that big of an effect,” sophomore Alison Ramos said. “But it’s definitely a start, though we still aren’t satisfied being ranked No. 8.”USC also has four players ranked among the nation’s top 50 in singles: No. 8 Maria Sanchez, No. 18 Danielle Lao, No. 37 Valeria Pulido and No. 38 Alison Ramos. In doubles, Pulido and Sanchez team up at No. 19.USC’s first opponent of the weekend, the Tigers, also recently improved its team ranking. After recently upsetting No. 4 Georgia (4-3), Clemson rose from No. 15 to No. 14 last week as well. Clemson has three players nationally ranked in singles: No. 9 Josipa Bek, No. 61 Nelly Ciolkowski and No. 113 Ina Hadziselimovic. In doubles, Bek and Hadziselimovic are ranked No. 4.USC is 7-0 all-time against Clemson after facing it in last year’s ITA Team Indoors and beating it 4-3 in the consolation second round.“We are getting the chance to play teams from the East Coast that we don’t get to play during the season,” Ramos said. “It’s all very exciting to not only play new competition but also to get the chance to play indoors.”USC will open competition today at 3:30 p.m. CST facing Clemson in the first round of play for a chance to move into Saturday’s 3:30 p.m. quarterfinal round. Semifinals will then be held Sunday at 3:30 p.m., with the championship match set for Monday, Feb. 15.last_img read more

Read More →

Extra Innings: Too many athletes are transferring out of USC

first_imgFor most players, the reasoning behind this wave of potential transfers is not clear. When McCoy decided to transfer, I wrote in a previous column, “Five-star receivers want to go to a university to do a few things: win football games, get better under great coaches and get noticed by professional scouts. Right now, USC offers only one of those three things and it isn’t the first two.” In this week’s installment of “What the Hell is Happening to USC Athletics?”: the transfer portal. This week, almost half of USC’s women’s basketball team entered the transfer portal. Six of the 13-person roster are at least considering — if not set on — leaving Galen Center. Granted, there are two graduate transfers in that group of players, but a daunting statistic nonetheless. USC Athletics needs to make some serious changes soon to retain players. For players to leave USC at such a rapid rate from multiple sports is not a good look for recruits of any sport. After all, when the players leave, the recruits stop coming. I’m not going to pretend I follow collegiate basketball. However, I do know that the women considering jumping ship are some of USC’s best ballers. But this issue isn’t unique to women’s basketball. Rather, it is evidence of a larger issue that has been perpetuated over the past year. Student-athletes keep transferring out of USC. Some of the most notable are redshirt junior receivers Velus Jones Jr. and Trevon Sidney. Jones posted a solid 10.4 yards per reception in 2018. He was a fantastic addition to USC’s receiving core last year. Sidney, on the other hand, didn’t have a whole lot of targets but showed great potential. It’s also important to note that Sidney was left off the spring roster. Jones is listed. Under offensive coordinator Graham Harrell’s air-raid offense, both receivers have the potential to be key players for USC next season, if they decide to stay. Those two potential transfers are just drops of water in the ocean of players that continue to enter the transfer portal. For most in the portal, their intentions are not clear. Perhaps, they are just keeping their options open this spring. center_img Some of my past thoughts hold validity. At least USC has an offensive coordinator now, but if I had to assume the reasoning behind this ordeal, players are unhappier with the athletic department than they are concerned with winning. Considering either the coaching staff or the administration, can you blame them? It’s a mess, and there is a whole lot to be upset about right now. Senior guard Minyon Moore, one of the graduate transfers who announced she will be transferring, led the Trojans in points, free throws, rebounds, assists and steals this past season. Senior forward Ja’Tavia Tapley also plans to transfer. She posted the second most blocks and rebounds during the 2018-19 season. How could anyone forget about one of the most interesting and jaw-dropping transfers of this spring? Incoming receiver Bru McCoy enrolled at USC early. It seemed like he was all in, ready to join receiving leaders senior Michael Pittman Jr. and sophomore Amon-Ra St. Brown to terrorize secondaries. Then, out of nowhere, he entered the transfer portal and became a Texas Longhorn just days later. You don’t need to look far to see that this is a major problem with USC football. News of players transferring has been dominating the USC football headlines for the past several months. But some might argue that players transfer all the time. However, a significant portion of the players entering the portal aren’t third string; they are the starters and the impact players USC needs. Sam Arslanian is a sophomore writing about sports. His column, “Extra Innings,” runs Fridays.last_img read more

Read More →

Tesla To Double Supercharger Capacity By End Of 2019

first_imgSupercharger V3, which starts rolling out early next year, will also charge much faster— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) November 19, 2018 Bollinger Asks Tesla If It Can Use Superchargers Source: Electric Vehicle News Elon Musk made the news public on Twitter, his favorite way of promoting positive product developments. One tweet (embedded below) mentioned the doubling in size, adding also that the improvement would mean between 95 to 100 percent of owners would be within range of the network. That’s pretty much all owners (obviously), with the exception of a few outliers. The improvements are needed as the company puts thousands more vehicles on the road each month.Another development that will help as much as new locations is faster charging speed. In a second tweet (embedded below), Musk mentions that the third iteration of Superchargers will be released early in 2019. While we don’t know the exact specifications of “V3,” as it is called, two years ago Musk seemed to tease that it would be over 350 kW. It should be kept in mind, however, that the vehicles — especially the Model S and Model X with smaller batteries — may not be able to take advantage of this extra charging power. The current generation of Superchargers can put out as much as 135 kW, though owners generally only see a top rate of 120 kW.The Supercharger network is a significant way that the brand has distinguished itself from competitors, giving customers confidence in their ability to make trips of significant distance. It’s integrated with Tesla vehicles to the extent that one can ask the car to plot a route of hundreds of miles in length and it will lay out a map on the large touchscreen with any needed stations, along with the anticipated time to charge there. Other manufacturers have been relying on charging networks from third-party outfits with wide-ranging costs, speeds, and reliability.The difference in approaches, we believe, is reflected in the sales figures. While the Supercharger network may not be solely responsible for the wide disparity in sales success between Tesla and its competitors, there’s little doubt it plays a key role. According to its website, the California company now has 1,375 locations worldwide with 11,424 Supercharger stations.Tesla Supercharger capacity will double by end of next year. Expect to be within range of 95% to 100% of population in all active markets.— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) November 19, 2018 Tesla Supercharger Network Output Now Exceeds 400 GWh Source: Twitter Version 3 will increase charging speeds early 2019.The Tesla Supercharger network is the automaker’s secret weapon and it’s about to get even more super. The automaker’s CEO has announced the vast network will double in size over the next year as well as see an increase in speed.More about the Tesla Supercharger network. Tesla: “99% Of U.S. Population Is Within 150 Miles Of A Supercharger” Author Liberty Access TechnologiesPosted on November 20, 2018Categories Electric Vehicle Newslast_img read more

Read More →