Fire destroys 3 shops in mall

first_imgPatrons at The Britisher, a bar a few storefronts down, were evacuated about 1 a.m. by sheriff’s deputies. Bartender Karly Santacruz said when she first walked outside, all that was visible was thick black smoke. A few minutes later, she said, she heard the store’s windows pop. “That’s when the whole thing ignited,” Santacruz said. “The fire went out the window and up really high. It looked like something you’d see in a movie.” In addition to La Familia, Check Cashing and Full Body Massage were destroyed. “It’s unfortunate to see the business owners lose their livelihood, but we were able to aggressively stop the fire and prevent it from getting any farther,” Battalion Chief Gerald Cosey said. “It definitely could have been a lot worse.” gideon.rubin@dailynews.com (661) 267-7802160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! LANCASTER – A massive blaze at a Lancaster strip mall early Tuesday morning destroyed three stores. The fire, reported at 12:50 a.m., was thought to have started in the attic of La Familia furniture store at 859 West Ave. I. Fifty firefighters in eight engines and three ladder trucks responded, spending more than an hour dousing the flames. Los Angeles County hazardous-materials crews were summoned to the scene, too. The fire could have caused significantly more structural damage to the shopping center if not for firefighters making a trench cut in the attic, where the blaze is thought to have been started by electrical wiring, Fire Department Chief Mark Bennett said. Bennett said Sheriff’s and Fire departments investigators ruled out arson as the cause of the blaze. “They were absolutely incredible,” property manager Stacy Emery said. “I’m just really grateful for my L.A. County fire and all my local city officials. They all really stepped up to the plate for us.” Firefighters gutted the furniture store during the midday hours, hosing down the debris to ensure that it wasn’t smoldering. “They’re obviously concerned about hot spots,” said Rod Emison, whose Har-Bro contractors was commissioned to install protective fencing around the structure. “It’s very unusual to see (firefighters) pulling out all that other debris.” last_img read more

Read More →

Zimmer introduces petition on gun magazine limits

first_imgFresh off the passing of federal Bill C-42, also known as the Common Sense Firearms Act, Prince George-Peace River Bob Zimmer introduced a petition in parliament today calling for further repeals to gun legislation.In a release, Zimmer said he introduced a petition from Canada’s National Firearms Association.The petition calls on the Minister of Public Safety, the Minister of Justice and the Attorney General of Canada to remove magazine capacity limits from prohibited status, according to the release.- Advertisement -The limits are set under regulations set under the Criminal Code of Canada.“They request and call upon the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness and the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada To repeal Item 3 of Part 4 of the schedule to the regulations prescribing certain firearms and other weapons, components and parts of weapons, accessories, cartridge magazines, ammunition and projectiles as prohibited or restricted,” Zimmer said.Some 29,000 people reportedly signed the petition, according to Zimmer.Advertisement Bill C-42 was passed in the House of Commons last week. The bill calls for safety training for first time gun owners, proposes a streamlined licensing system, and would no longer require gun owners to carry a separate document to transport firearms to activities such as target practice or a shooting range competition.The bill will is now before the Senate as part of the legislative process.last_img read more

Read More →

Double boost for Stoke! Key duo put pen to paper on new deals

first_imgStoke City pair Glenn Whelan and Peter Crouch have signed new contracts with the club.Midfielder Whelan and striker Crouch have both committed their futures to the Potters until the summer of 2017.Manager Mark Hughes said: “We’ve been talking to both players for a while and it’s pleasing that both want to stay and be a part of what we are striving to achieve at the club.“They are both fantastic professionals who had contributed a great deal to Stoke City long before I joined the club and have continued to do so. I’m delighted they are staying with us for at least another couple of years.”Whelan arrived Britannia Stadium from Sheffield Wednesday in 2008 and played a vital part in helping the club win promotion to the Premier League.Crouch has been at the club since 2011, arriving from Tottenham for a club record fee of £10 million.Stoke chief executive Tony Scholes said: “Players like Glenn and Peter are very much the backbone of our squad and we’re delighted they have committed to spend at least another two years with the Club.“They have both proved to be fantastic signings for Stoke City. The experience they bring to bear on the side, both on and off the pitch, cannot be under-estimated and they still have so much to offer.” 1 Peter Crouch last_img read more

Read More →

COLLEGES SOCCER: LYIT 3, BELFAST MET COLLEGE 0

first_imgCOLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES FOOTBALL LEAGUELYIT 3 Belfast Metropolitan College 0Letterkenny Institute of Technology finished their regular season with a convincing win over Belfast Metopolitan College on the college campus last night  Wednesday. Having already secured a quarter final berth prior to the game manager Niall McGonagle used the game to give a run to some of the fringe players in the squad. Belfast lined out with ex Werder Brmman and current Cliftonville star Liam Boyce in their ranks and he proved a real handful for the LYIT defence throughout the contest.Letterkenny took the lead through Bonagee United poacher Aidan McLaughlin after he tapped into the empty net after fine build up play from Tommy Bonner and Paul McVeigh on 23 minutes.LYIT centre backs Proinsias Forker and Mark Harkin had their hands full with Boyce and indeed he had the ball in the LYIT net on 29 minutes after a pull-back from the end line by Joe Finley. However the goal was ruled out, much to the annoyance of the visitors, as the referees assistant had adjudged that the ball had gone out of play prior to the former Irish League young player of the year applying the finish.Tommy Bonner added the second for the Port Road students on 57 minutes after Oisin McMenamin`s shot from the edge of the box was only parried and the Finn Harps midfielder who is enjoying a fine run of form in the LYIT engine room confidently side footed home from 15 yards. Thereafter Letterkenny were put on the back foot as the Belfast lads rallied and Letterkenny guilty of giving the ball away cheaply on a number of occasions and Lee McFadden had to be at his best to keep out efforts from Stephen Allen and Boyce twice.> > However it was game, set and match for the LYIT lads as substitute Micheal Connolly scored a fantastic half-volley from 16 yards which gave the visiting keeper no chance.> >> > LYIT: Lee McFadden, Josh Mailey, Barry McNamee, Mark Harkin, Proinsias Forker, Tommy Bonner, Emmet Patterson, Luke O’ Farrell, Aidan McLaughlin,> > Oisin McMenamin, Paul McVeigh> > Subs used: Micheal Connolly, Ryan Mangan> >> > Belfast Metropolitan: Kyle Cherry, Darryl Evans, Jonathan Kane, Stuart Moore,> > Jamie Fleming, Anthony Feeney, John Adams, Ryan McCartney, Calum Curtis,> > Liam Boyce, Joe Finley, Stephen Allen> >COLLEGES SOCCER: LYIT 3, BELFAST MET COLLEGE 0 was last modified: December 8th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:colleges soccerLYITlast_img read more

Read More →

WOW! DONEGAL GIRLS INCREDIBLE ‘IT’ DRESS – MADE FROM RECYCLED COMPUTERS!

first_imgTHREE clever Co Donegal students are through to the final of a fashion competition – after designing a dress made totally from recycled computer equipment.The three students from Loreto Community School in Milford, have made it through to the Northern Regional Finals of the Junk Kouture a recycled fashion competition.Ciara Haley, her twin sister Kate and pal Heather Duff have created ‘I.T. GIRL’, a dress made completely out of recycled computer materials. “It took us three months to complete but it was definitely worth all that work as the end product is impressive to say the least,” said Ciara.Before the three girls showcase their colourful creation ‘I.T. GIRL’ to a panel of judges and a lively audience on the catwalk in Belfast’s famous Europa hotel, they plan to strut their stuff in local schools in the hope of gaining public votes.This fashion forward trio will need your help as they can gain an extra 10% to their overall score from online voting.Lines open today and you can vote for ‘I.T. GIRL’ online by visiting the website www.junkkouture.com and voting for their design. So come on Donegal – get behind all the Donegal entries and go online and vote.The Regional Finals will take place this Sunday, March 11.This event is open to the public and is sure to be a very exciting day out where you can admire students’ creative approach to turning junk into fashion. WOW! DONEGAL GIRLS INCREDIBLE ‘IT’ DRESS – MADE FROM RECYCLED COMPUTERS! was last modified: March 6th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:WOW! DONEGAL GIRLS INCREDIBLE ‘IT’ DRESS – MADE FROM RECYCLED COMPUTERS!last_img read more

Read More →

An Indiana Utility Offers Free Car Charges

first_imgIf you own an electric vehicle (EV), it apparently pays to live in Indiana.Some Indiana drivers who have invested in electric vehicles are finding very low power costs, adding up to less than 1 cent per mile. In the service area of one electric utility, fuel is free, according to an article in Green Car Reports.Customers of Northern Indiana Public Service Company can charge their cars for free, providing they do so between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. and the car is charged on on a separate electric meter. The utility is also offering a subsidy of as much as $1,650 toward the installation of a meter to the first 250 people EV owners who request it.So far, 125 have taken advantage of the offer. The offer is good through the end of 2017, UtilityDive reported.Separately, Indianapolis Power and Light offers off-peak rates of 2.3 cents per kWh, allowing the owner of a Tesla Model S to recharge the car and drive 265 miles for $1.95 in fuel charges, Green Car Reports said.Despite a variety of incentives, EVs are still very much a niche market. The website EV Sales reports that less than 10,000 EVs sold in the U.S. in October of this year. The Nissan Leaf is the most popular brand, with year-to-date sales of about 24,400.last_img read more

Read More →

NAB 2018: SmallHD Unveils 5 New Focus Monitors

first_imgNAB 2018 announcement: SmallHD is back with a new lineup of focus monitoring equipment. Here’s what you need to know about the new gear.All images via SmallHD.After making some waves at NAB 2017 with their small focus monitor, SmallHD is back at the show with a new lineup of five additional offerings for a greater range of workflow setups. Their new FOCUS line introduces some much-requested upgrades of last year’s releases. (For a hands-on review of SmallHD’s original FOCUS monitor, check out this article.)Here are the highlights of the new line.Focus SDIThe first new feature from SmallHD’s NAB showcase is their highly requested FOCUS SDI Monitor — an upgrade of their popular FOCUS from last year. Instead of the Micro HDMI of the previous iteration, the FOCUS SDI offers a full-sized SDI input, which offers the same high-resolution scopes, customizable false color, and real-time viewable LUTs on the 800-nit bright touchscreen. The new FOCUS SDI also includes the company’s new SmallHD Tilt Arm, which attaches via a shoe mount to the top of your camera. For a full review, check out this video.Price: $599Expected Release Date: April 30th, 2018Focus OLEDAlongside the new FOCUS SDI are upgrades to SmallHD’s FOCUS OLED, including both an HDMI and a new SDI as well. The FOCUS OLED HDMI, which is a slight upgrade of the original FOCUS monitor, has the same wide color gamut display with a 7.2v power output (for working with your DSLR and mirrorless cameras). With its HDMI input, it offers a 5-inch OLED touchscreen with 1920×1080 resolution.Price: $699Expected Release Date: April 30th, 2018Meanwhile, the FOCUS OLED SDI, which should come out about a month later, offers the same edge-to-edge bonded glass display (and includes the SmallHD Tilt Arm as well) but with a full-sized SDI input.Price: $799Expected Release Date: May 31st, 2018Focus BoltFinally, to round out SmallHD’s latest offerings, they company has unveiled a new BOLT line of 5-inch touchscreens for a complete ecosystem compatible with a 500-ft transmitter to connect both the FOCUS Bolt TX, FOCUS Bolt RX, 703 Bolt monitor/receiver, Teradeck Bolt 500, and Sidekick II receivers. The FOCUS Bolt TX is set for a late May release.Price: $1,299Expected Release Date: May 31st, 2018The FOCUS BOLT RX is set for the same price point and release day to complete the new Bolt ecosystem.Price: $1,299Expected Release Date: May 31st, 2018For more NAB news, check out these articles.NAB 2018 Announcement: The Sony FS5 Gets an UpdateNAB 2018: LaCie’s Rugged Hard Drive Gets TougherNAB 2018: What You Should Know Before You GoNAB 2018: Blackmagic is Releasing A New Pocket Cinema Cameralast_img read more

Read More →

Nadal withdraws from Wimbledon tuneup for extra rest

first_imgMOST READ LATEST STORIES WATCH: Firefighters rescue baby seal found in parking garage Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ 1 dead in Cavite blast, fire World’s 50 Best Restaurants launches new drinking and dining guide Ronaldo accused of evading millions in taxes Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Heart Evangelista admits she’s pregnant… with chicken Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next What ‘missteps’? Heart Evangelista admits she’s pregnant… with chicken Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Nadal won a record 10th French Open championship Sunday after also winning clay-court titles in Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Madrid over the last two months.The Queen’s Club event is one of the major grass-court tournaments leading up to Wimbledon. This year’s field includes defending champion Andy Murray and runner-up Milos Raonic, as well as French Open runner-up Stan Wawrinka.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutNadal won the event in 2008. An emotional Rafael Nadal of Spain holds the trophy as he celebrates winning his tenth French Open title against Switzerland’s Stan Wawrinka in three sets, 6-2, 6-3, 6-1, during their men’s final match of the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium, in Paris, France, Sunday, June 11, 2017. (AP Photo/Christophe Ena)French Open champion Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the Queen’s Club tournament, a warmup event for Wimbledon, saying he needs to rest.Nadal said Tuesday in a statement: “After speaking to my team and doctor, I have decided my body needs to rest if I am going to be ready to play Wimbledon.” He apologized to tournament organizers and British fans.ADVERTISEMENT View commentslast_img read more

Read More →

Launch pad

first_imgFurniture fiestaInternational Furniture Brands is offering Delhi’s design buffs a line of contemporary furniture from Italian luxury label Fendi Casa. The collection happens to be an amalgamation of superb craftsmanship and fine materials. Take your pick from a range of iconic pieces such as the Polo Club and Fabio sofa, Canova dining table and chairs, Diamante bed, Bernini Deco table along with several other trendy home accessories, furnishings and lighting products.At: The Gallery, 13 MG Road, New Delhi. Tel: 011-26802319.A shiny cuppaAs part of its winter collection, Magppie has introduced an exquisite range of art-inspired tea cups, saucers and coffee mugs. Available in stainless steel and porcelain, the line comes in a variety of designs, shapes and styles. Take a look at the 15-piece Platinum tea set, priced at Rs 19,900. At: City Square Mall, Second Floor, Rajouri Garden, New Delhi. Tel: 09873918016.Greedy for 3DHigh-end decor specialist Casa Paradox has introduced a new range of spherical vases sporting designs with 3D effect. Made from wheat straw, they are available in three sizes and five beautiful colours. At: The Gallery, 13 MG Road, New Delhi. Tel: 011-26806441.The creative connectIndian home furnishings store Onset has collaborated with leading American label Robert Allen to provide a unique interior experience to its patrons. Inspired by art, history, nature and architecture, their offerings include table linen, curtains and upholstery. Besides, there are vases, glassware, and candles. At: E-24, South Extension-II. Tel: 011-41641600.Decor chicZolijns has come up with a neat assortment of home accessories by Diamantini & Domeniconi comprising state-ofthe-art wall clocks and geometrically conceptualised vases. Also on offer are wall art and lamps from international brands like Nomon, Progetti and The Polo Art. At: C-19 Nizamuddin West, New Delhi. Tel: 011-41458383.advertisementlast_img read more

Read More →