BCS, AP polls agree: USC is ranked No. 1

first_img “I don’t know how the system works but it’s giving us the same due as the other polls, I guess, it’s a starting point,” USC coach Pete Carroll said. “Where you wind up is important. But it’s nice to be recognized by that system.” USC is ahead of Texas by .0332 points, a fairly comfortable margin although its 34-31 victory over Notre Dame didn’t help it as much as one might expect, because the Irish have a relatively weak computer ranking of 25th. Notre Dame is 16th overall in the BCS poll. USC sat atop the first Bowl Championship Series ratings as a solid No. 1, confirming the Trojans control their own destiny in an attempt to win a third national championship. The Trojans (6-0) are first in both top 25 polls used by the BCS and first in four of the six computer rankings. Texas and Georgia and first in the other two computer polls and the Longhorns are No. 2 overall. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!center_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week UCLA, now ranked No. 8 in the AP poll, is ninth in the BCS standing. The Bruins’ top 25 poll average is 8.5 and they are 11th in the computer rankings. Human polls make up 67 percent of the BCS ratings while computers comprise the remaining 33 percent. Scott Wolf, (818) 713-3607 [email protected] BCS TOP 10 USC and UCLA are among the top 10 in the first BCS poll, released Monday: No., School, Record, BCS Avg 1. USC 6-0 .9923 2. Texas 6-0 .9591 3. Virginia Tech 6-0 .9067 4. Georgia 6-0 .8933 5. Alabama 6-0 .8220 6. LSU 4-1 .7078 7. Texas Tech 6-0 .7034 8. Miami 5-1 .6928 9. UCLA 6-0 .6675 10. Penn State 6-1 .5860 BCS average is calculated by averaging the percent totals of the Harris Interactive, USA Today Coaches and computer polls. last_img