Premier says goodbye to £75m bread contract

first_imgPremier Foods has revealed that it will not be renewing a £75m bread contract with a multiple retailer from mid-2013, as it looks to focus on more profitable operations.The firm, which published its interim management statement this morning (23 October) for the three months to 30 September 2012, said the contract, which accounts for approximately £75m in annual sales, has “very low margins”, was costly to service and would not affect its 2012 performance.A company spokesperson told British Baker that Premier Foods would not disclose details of the individual customer, however, analysts have hinted that the own-label contract is worth up to half of Premier Foods’ own-label bread business.Premier reported a rise in sales and market share for its Hovis bread brand during the last quarter, as underlying sales increased by 2% to £364.7m. Sales for its Power Brands, including Hovis and Mr Kipling, also increased by 2% to £206.1m.Damian McNeela, analyst of consumer staples at Panmure Gordon, said: “In bread, overall sales were flat, with Hovis delivering both sales growth and market share gains, although these were not material. “There is a degree of ebb and flow to the non-branded bread business and although the margins associated with the lost contract are low, it is a larger-than-average contract and hence the company have disclosed it.”Michael Clarke, chief executive, Premier Foods, said: “I’m delighted that we’ve grown sales of our Grocery Power Brands for a third successive quarter, despite the challenging consumer environment. Following recent divestitures we expect to deliver a further £20m of overhead cost reductions in 2013, over and above the £40m of savings we will deliver in 2012.“We are also continuing to work to unlock the value in our bread business, through taking the necessary decisions to improve sustainable profitability. We have a solid programme in place for the important Christmas training period and our full-year expectations are unchanged.”Non-brands sales also grew by 9.7% during the three-month period, which the company said reflected contract gains in its cake division and pricing benefits.Premier Foods’ Grocery Power Brands delivered year-on-year growth of 4.1% in the nine months to 30 September 2012.last_img read more

Read More →

Cricket News India vs Pak World Cup clash: BCCI writes to ICC, wants to sever ties with nations backing terrorism

first_imghighlights New Delhi: In a major development, Rahul Johri, the CEO of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has written a letter to the ICC regarding the India vs Pakistan clash which will be played in Manchester on June 16. In a letter accessed by News Nation, Johri wrote a letter to Shashank Manohar, the ICC Independent Chairman, Dave Richardson, who is the outgoing ICC CEO, Colin Graves, the Managing Director of the England and Wales Cricket Board as well as ICC Cricket World Cup tournament director Steve Elworthy. In that, Johri mentioned that the BCCI is concerned for the safety of the players and the match officials in the match which has already seen about 400,000 ticket applications. The letter mentioned that the United Kingdom, the country which is hosting the ICC Cricket World Cup this time, has condemned the terror attacks in Pulwama which killed 40 CRPF jawans. Johri went one step further. Without naming Pakistan, he said ICC cricketing nations should sever ties with countries from where terrorism emanates.In the wake of Pulwama Terror Attack earlier this month, the calls for boycotting Pakistan at the forthcoming ICC World Cup 2019 are peeking with each passing day. The pressure on the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is increasing with each passing day. However, the government has warned the board to act wisely and not take any decision hurriedly as the decision can lead to India suffering.As per the reports by NDTV, boycotting Pakistan clash in World Cup can draw a furious reaction from ICC and BCCI could be handed a ban by the international body. The Pulwama terror attack, which saw 40 CRPF soldiers attain martyrdom after a suicide bombing attack by Pakistan-based terror outfit Jaish-e-Mohammad, has evoked the emotions of millions across the country. A government source believes that if India boycotts the encounter against the men-in-green, it may lead to a ban for life for BCCI. India vs Pakistan clash will take place on June 16.The Pulwama terror attack killed 40 CRPF jawans.BCCI are apparently planning to ban Pakistan from the ICC Cricket World Cup. Shoaib Akhtar has condemned the death of 40 CRPF jawans in the Pulwama Terror Attack on 14th February and also suggested that team India has all right to pull out of the game against Pakistan in World Cup which is scheduled to be played on June 16. However, he did say that BCCI would want to participate in the clash against Pakistan eyeing monetary gains.Akhtar, during a conversation with a Pakistani news channel, revealed that BCCI has expressed their urge at playing a bilateral series against Pakistan, but the Indian government has denied it every time. The Rawalpindi Express reckons that had India and Pakistan resumed their cricketing ties the broadcasters and BCCI would have earned the maximum money.”Honest reply, BCCI wants to play with Pakistan, the government says no. Had they played with Pakistan, Star Sports and BCCI would have earned the maximum revenue. The series would have a monetary value of 600 million dollars. Do you think they don’t? Of course, they want that. Now speaking on part of their argument, they want to play with Pakistan. Our Pakistan board had mentioned that they want to play a bilateral series and you cannot deny it although the series can be held at a different venue altogether. But they have said that they have a board to run which falls under Supreme Court. That is their argument and that is logical,” opined Akhtar. For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more

Read More →

Aiming for bowl appearance, Marrone hands keys of offense to first-year coach Hackett

first_img Comments NEWPORT, R.I. –– When asked if he had a minute to sum up his expectations for the upcoming 2010 season, Syracuse head coach Doug Marrone provided his quickest answer of Big East Media Day. Heading into his second year, his goal is clear. And to Marrone, it’s a self-proclaimed, simple truth.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text‘I can give it to you in less than 60 (seconds),’ Marrone said. ‘We need to turn this thing around quick. We need to go to a bowl. If we don’t go to a bowl, I will be very disappointed. … Yes, I think I can stand on that statement. It’s the truth. As long as you tell the truth.’On Tuesday, Marrone laid out a finish line for his team. And with that, he elaborated on the first main step he took in reaching that finish line. A decision that will ultimately take an expected game-day load off him.There is a new offensive play-caller. An unexpected one, as it’s not Marrone. Instead, first-year quarterbacks coach Nathaniel Hackett will take control of the offensive plays, Marrone announced last Friday.The clock is ticking. Starting … now.Delving into the rationale behind the change Tuesday in Newport, Marrone said he will still share offensive game-planning duties with Hackett. Marrone also maintained that all calls will ultimately go through him and that he has the ability to change any and every play call — including those on defense and special teams.The decision came as a change in plans, as Marrone said throughout the spring that he would be taking on play-calling duties this fall after firing former offensive coordinator Rob Spence.Marrone clarified how exactly the 30-year-old Hackett’s role will break down as the play-caller and why he made the decision to shift duties from himself. ‘What happened was, in the beginning, we were looking for someone to fill that role and I knew that I could call the plays,’ Marrone said. ‘I knew that I could do that. But in the back of my mind, I was concerned about the management of the games. When you are a play-caller — I know myself, I get aggressive. When we get down to fourth-and-one, should we punt? Should we go for it? I just felt that if I was calling the plays I would want to go for all of them.’Extraneous greed on the part of the head coach was the main factor for Marrone’s delegation to Hackett, it appears. He seems to believe his ego would have been too big for the added duty this year. So, he passed it off to the little-brother figure he brought in from their time in the NFL. ‘There is an ego involved with calling a play at anytime,’ Marrone said. ‘All of a sudden you make the adjustments with the offensive coaches, then you are not watching the defense and special teams. All of a sudden, I don’t have a great flow of the game. What is good about it, with Nathaniel, if it wasn’t a good match for us, I could go ahead and cover the plays. So, I feel comfortable right now.’Marrone thinks Hackett, a former Buffalo Bills quality control chief, is tailor-made for the job. He and Hackett’s fellow former NFL colleague, current Pittsburgh head coach Dave Wannstedt, agree.Across the room, Wannstedt didn’t need a minute to think, either.‘He’ll do a great job,’ he said. ‘I don’t think his age is anything (of an issue). He’s been around football all his life. He’s got a great background.’ Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on August 3, 2010 at 12:00 pm [email protected]last_img read more

Read More →

Sterling said to have rejected £100,000 a week Anfield offer.

first_imgIt’s widely reported he will not sign a new contract with the club.Sterling still has two years to run on his current deal and is expected to meet with manager Brendan Rodgers and chief executive Ian Ayre this week.It’s understood Liverpool’s position hasn’t changed, saying the English star is not for sale. Both Manchester City and Arsenal are said to be interested if Sterling becomes available.last_img

Read More →

Chase Utley leads Dodgers into Game 5 by his actions

first_img“I know this probably isn’t the right parallel if you’re talking about people,” Byrnes said. “But, on the field, Chase is Ty Cobb. He’s the modern-day Ty Cobb of this game.“For a while we went through a time in baseball where it wasn’t cool to hustle, that players looked down on you if you played all-out and weren’t out there styling. Chase came along and I think he had a lot to do with changing that. You do whatever it takes to win.“That’s why that slide was so typical,” Byrnes added. “That’s why he made that play a couple of weeks ago, when he’s on his chest and he sort of shovels it the ball back to first base and got the out. That was such a sick play. He was willing to try it.”That happened in the fourth inning against Colorado on Sept. 22. But Utley also pulled the 27th out of Game 4 from potential chaos Tuesday, making the flip play on Harper and making Thursday’s game necessary.“It’s not just that he studies their pitchers,” Dodgers reliever Joe Blanton said. “He can see when you’re tipping pitches, helps you correct all that. He does all the little things that make a difference.”And Utley is an invaluable guide for shortstop Corey Seager, who is 22 and accustomed to big brothers.Utley comes from the 2007-11 Phillies, a homegrown crew that made the playoffs each year, won the 2008 World Series and played in the 2009 Series. They were taken apart when salaries became burdensome and their body clocks had supposedly stopped. But Cole Hamels helped pitch Texas into these playoffs. J.A. Happ won 20 games for Toronto. Jayson Werth is still a mid-lineup force for Washington. Blanton was one of the league’s best setup relievers, and Carlos Ruiz homered for the Dodgers in Game 3 on Monday.Next year? Well, Ty Cobb had a league-leading OPS of 1.066 when he was 38. The numbers aren’t Utley’s barometer anymore, since he drove in 52 runs and hit .251 this season, but the Dodgers are past all that.Most would vote to spend 2017 on Utley’s team. The Dodgers play the Nationals in a mutual-elimination Game 5 on Thursday night. Mutually high anxiety, too.The Nationals lost in the first postseason round five years ago and again three years ago. They have Max Scherzer, the best starting pitcher in the league this year, waiting for the Dodgers, pitching right on schedule. They also have the bullpen they never had in those previous stumblings. If not now, when?The last time the Dodgers even got to a World Series was 1988, when Whitney Houston and George Harrison were still topping the charts. The Dodgers have already played the Clayton Kershaw card. The starter will likely be 36-year-old Rich Hill, who has pitched effectively but not for long. Behind him, 20-year-old Julio Urias has the freshest arm in town. Both bullpens are buying Advil by the gross.But they also have Utley. Los Angeles is not a marketing opportunity for him. It’s home, or at least Long Beach is, and it doesn’t matter anyway. In coarse and unsentimental Philadelphia, Utley got standing ovations this year every time he came to the plate. For 13 years his attitude was their attytood. Win. No elaboration required.Tellingly, Utley is still vigorously booed when he comes to the plate in Washington, a frequent N.L. East opponent of the Phillies. Eric Byrnes was on Chase Utley’s team at UCLA. That’s pretty much how he remembers it, even though Byrnes was a senior and Utley was a freshman. You were on Utley’s team.Byrnes went on to a distinguished outfielding career, mostly in Oakland and Arizona. He is now an MLB Network analyst. Utley is 37, a guru in some ways, still a freshman in others. Every day brings a chance to make the team.“I guess the one play everybody remembers was in the playoffs last year,” Byrnes said, remembering Utley’s rulebook-changing moment in the National League Division Series, when he broke the leg of Mets shortstop Ruben Tejada with a ruthless slide right out of the Harding administration.“But I remember another play. He was running to first base after he struck out and the ball got past the catcher, and he was trying to beat the throw to first. The ball goes by and he jumps up like he’s trying to get hit in the head with the ball, so he can be safe. I’ve never seen anybody do that. But then I never played with anybody like Chase.”center_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more

Read More →