Impossible to delay Olympics again, says Tokyo chief

first_img He said holding the Games would require not only Japan but also the rest of the world to have the virus under control. Impossible to delay Olympics again, says Tokyo chief Read Also: UEFA endorse Spanish FA proposal for European spots The organising committee itself has been hit the virus, saying Wednesday that a staff member in his 30s working at its Tokyo headquarters had tested positive for the disease. Postponing the Games is a massive logistical undertaking, and expected to incur significant additional costs. Kyodo News quoted Mori as saying the opening and closing ceremonies would need to undergo “drastic reviews” in order to cut costs, adding that organisers would ask the ceremonies’ directors to consider including a message about the coronavirus crisis. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted Content6 Extreme Facts About HurricanesBest Car Manufacturers In The WorldWhat Is A Black Hole In Simple Terms?Top 10 Iconic Personalities On TV Now7 Reasons Why You Might Want To Become A Vegetarian7 Universities In The World With The Highest Market Value6 Incredibly Strange Facts About Hurricanes10 Characters That Should Be Official Disney Princesses6 Of The Best 90s Shows That Need To Come Back ASAP8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its GrowthWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?The Best Cars Of All Time The Tokyo 2020 Olympics cannot be delayed beyond the year-long postponement already forced by the coronavirus outbreak, the organising committee’s president has warned in comments published Thursday.Tokyo 2020 president Yoshiro Mori said there is “absolutely no” chance of postponing the Games beyond their rescheduled July 23, 2021 opening, according to Kyodo News agency.The 2020 Olympics will be delayed for a year “Also thinking about athletes and issues over Games management, it is technically difficult to delay it by two years,” Mori was quoted as saying. Mori said he had earlier asked Prime Minister Shinzo Abe whether Japan should consider a two-year postponement but “the prime minister decided that one year is the way to go”. Under heavy pressure from athletes and sports associations, Japanese organisers and the International Olympic Committee in March agreed to a year-long postponement of the Games. Organisers and Japanese officials have said the delayed Olympics will be a chance to showcase the world’s triumph over the coronavirus, but questions have arisen about whether even a year’s postponement is sufficient. Earlier this week, a Japanese expert who has criticised the country’s response to the coronavirus warned he is “very pessimistic” that the postponed Olympics can be held in 2021. “To be honest with you, I don’t think the Olympics is likely to be held next year,” said Kentaro Iwata, a professor of infectious diseases at Kobe University.center_img Loading… last_img read more

Read More →

Aiming for bowl appearance, Marrone hands keys of offense to first-year coach Hackett

first_img Comments NEWPORT, R.I. –– When asked if he had a minute to sum up his expectations for the upcoming 2010 season, Syracuse head coach Doug Marrone provided his quickest answer of Big East Media Day. Heading into his second year, his goal is clear. And to Marrone, it’s a self-proclaimed, simple truth.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text‘I can give it to you in less than 60 (seconds),’ Marrone said. ‘We need to turn this thing around quick. We need to go to a bowl. If we don’t go to a bowl, I will be very disappointed. … Yes, I think I can stand on that statement. It’s the truth. As long as you tell the truth.’On Tuesday, Marrone laid out a finish line for his team. And with that, he elaborated on the first main step he took in reaching that finish line. A decision that will ultimately take an expected game-day load off him.There is a new offensive play-caller. An unexpected one, as it’s not Marrone. Instead, first-year quarterbacks coach Nathaniel Hackett will take control of the offensive plays, Marrone announced last Friday.The clock is ticking. Starting … now.Delving into the rationale behind the change Tuesday in Newport, Marrone said he will still share offensive game-planning duties with Hackett. Marrone also maintained that all calls will ultimately go through him and that he has the ability to change any and every play call — including those on defense and special teams.The decision came as a change in plans, as Marrone said throughout the spring that he would be taking on play-calling duties this fall after firing former offensive coordinator Rob Spence.Marrone clarified how exactly the 30-year-old Hackett’s role will break down as the play-caller and why he made the decision to shift duties from himself. ‘What happened was, in the beginning, we were looking for someone to fill that role and I knew that I could call the plays,’ Marrone said. ‘I knew that I could do that. But in the back of my mind, I was concerned about the management of the games. When you are a play-caller — I know myself, I get aggressive. When we get down to fourth-and-one, should we punt? Should we go for it? I just felt that if I was calling the plays I would want to go for all of them.’Extraneous greed on the part of the head coach was the main factor for Marrone’s delegation to Hackett, it appears. He seems to believe his ego would have been too big for the added duty this year. So, he passed it off to the little-brother figure he brought in from their time in the NFL. ‘There is an ego involved with calling a play at anytime,’ Marrone said. ‘All of a sudden you make the adjustments with the offensive coaches, then you are not watching the defense and special teams. All of a sudden, I don’t have a great flow of the game. What is good about it, with Nathaniel, if it wasn’t a good match for us, I could go ahead and cover the plays. So, I feel comfortable right now.’Marrone thinks Hackett, a former Buffalo Bills quality control chief, is tailor-made for the job. He and Hackett’s fellow former NFL colleague, current Pittsburgh head coach Dave Wannstedt, agree.Across the room, Wannstedt didn’t need a minute to think, either.‘He’ll do a great job,’ he said. ‘I don’t think his age is anything (of an issue). He’s been around football all his life. He’s got a great background.’ Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on August 3, 2010 at 12:00 pm [email protected]last_img read more

Read More →

Govt to request over $500M from National Assembly

first_img… to house prisoners, boost securityGovernment will be moving to the National Assembly to seek supplementary financing likely to exceed $500 million in an effort to house prisoners, boost security at the existing prisons and deal with the fallout from the disastrous fire on July 9, 2017, that gutted the Camp Street Prison. This was disclosed during a press conference at the Public Security Ministry on Friday. According to PublicFrom left: Fire Chief Marlon Gentle, Top Cop Seelall Persaud, Public Security Minister Khemraj Ramjattan and Prison Chief Gladwin SamuelsSecurity Minister Khemraj Ramjattan, the Ministry had come up with a fast-tracked plan pertaining to what temporary constructions would be erected.“At least (for) the purpose of building the prison and the tarmac area, the removal of debris, I haven’t gotten the final figure…These contractors and quantity surveyors are working hard. But by Monday certainly (we will have final figure), because we have to go for the supplementary budgetary allocations by Tuesday or whenever the next parliamentary date. And it will be, as I’m being told, in excess of $500 million,” Ramjattan told a media conference.He noted that this was to ensure that the prisoners being housed at LusignanThe new holding area for prisonerspenitentiary could be relocated to the remaining brick structure at Camp Street. According to Ramjattan, these constructions will be temporary. “We require, for the support of those prisoners, a kitchen be constructed, an admin building and infirmary to be constructed. And it will be quite costly though it will be temporary. All these major constructions that will make the place safe will cost a good set of money.”“But the plans, in terms of what we have to construct and security systems (that) have been designed, during the last 72 hours,” the Minister proclaimed. “Because that was (something) we had to fast track.”Ramjattan also spoke of advances that Government has made, including the completion of a tarmac area for the displaced prisoners at Lusignan. “There have been some major accomplishments. At this stage the tarmac area at Lusignan has been completed and there have been some minor difficulties (that were) corrected to the extent that at least 400 prisoners are now there in better conditions than in the swamp area they were in,” he said.He added that there are still 80 prisoners in the swamp area. “We felt that it was necessary because we do not want them to contaminate the four hundred prisoners that are in the tarmac area. These are the real bad ones that have done a number of acts which make us believe that if they were to go into that tarmac area, there would be real trouble.” He also noted that there are 151 prisoners in the actual prison at Lusignan. The Minister also reported that the charred debris from the Camp Street site has been removed. The fire which razed the Camp Street Prison occurred on July 9, resulting in over 1000 prisoners being displaced. While some were moved to Mazaruni or granted early release or bail, a contingent had remained at Lusignan under strained circumstances.Dollars and centsCurrently there are plans for the phased construction of a four-storey prison as part of the expansion at Mazaruni, which is scheduled to start this year.Ramjattan has said that building a new prison could end up costing the Government $6 billion. But after the completion of the prison design by VIKAB Engineering Consultants Ltd, the first phase of building the prison at Mazaruni will commence. The security sector is one of the priority areas of Government. For 2016, a sum of $24.6 billion was announced by the Government, ostensibly to develop and modernise the security sector inclusive of the prison service. In 2015, the coalition Government had allocated $21 billion in their inaugural budget towards the security sector. Some $11.9 billion had been allocated from that sum in order to support the operations of the Disciplined Services; the Guyana Prison Service, Fire Service and the Guyana Police Force.Last year March, however, a fire raged through the Camp Street Prison and claimed the lives of 17 prisoners. Afterwards, a Commission of Inquiry which cost the Treasury $13 million was ordered by President David Granger.According to the report compiled by the Commissioners, the combination of overcrowded, uncomfortable and unhygienic confinement are all ideal conditions for epidemics, for gangs to prosper and to propagate discontent. Moreover, the CoI found that reducing numbers in prison to manageable levels is the single most important priority for establishing safe, humane and purposeful prisons. But some of these recommendations were not implemented at the time of the fire.last_img read more

Read More →