COVID-19 : Section 1B Of SC Registry Shuts Amid Reports Of Staffers Testing Corona Positive

first_imgTop StoriesCOVID-19 : Section 1B Of SC Registry Shuts Amid Reports Of Staffers Testing Corona Positive Nilashish Chaudhary16 Jun 2020 6:03 AMShare This – xAmid the steady rise of COVID-19 cases in India, especially in the National Capital, Section 1B of the Supreme Court Registry was closed off on Tuesday.Sources suggest that it will continue to remain inaccessible for the next couple of days.While it is being stated that the move to cordon off this section is in keeping with the routine sanitization process of the Court, officials from…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginAmid the steady rise of COVID-19 cases in India, especially in the National Capital, Section 1B of the Supreme Court Registry was closed off on Tuesday.Sources suggest that it will continue to remain inaccessible for the next couple of days.While it is being stated that the move to cordon off this section is in keeping with the routine sanitization process of the Court, officials from the Registry told LiveLaw that the same had to be done because 2 members tested positive for COVID-19.Sources suggested that this was not the first time a Supreme Court staffer has tested positive for the infection. Over the last two months, a couple of such instances have come to the fore, where the concerned employee was sent back to quarantine themselves at home. The source also stated that a number of employees had come in contact with those who tested positive, but assured that appropriate safety measures had been taken after contact tracing.Another Supreme Court Staff member told LiveLaw that whenever an employee has been in contact with someone who tested positive, they have been sent back for a period of 14 days’ home quarantine. He also mentioned that other sections/floors of Supreme Court have been cordoned off in the last few months, in some cases even for 10-12 days.Playing down rumours of the premises being ‘sealed off’, an official said that the entire Supreme Court cannot be fumigated in one go, therefore certain sections are temporarily isolated to ensure proper sanitization. They did, however, confirm that Section 1B would not be accessible for 2-3 days, implying that physical filing would not take place during this time.While there has been a push for physical hearings to resume soon, the recent upsurge in COVID-19 cases in Delhi makes it very unlikely that the requests of advocates and lawyer bodies including SCBA and SCAORA will be acceded to anytime soon.While hearing a matter via virtual conferencing today, Justice RF Nariman also noted that the COVID situation was getting worse by the day, and not improving.Subscribe to LiveLaw, enjoy Ad free version and other unlimited features, just INR 599 Click here to Subscribe. All payment options available.loading….Next Storylast_img read more

Read More →

Delhi High Court Directs Centre to File Status Report on Actor Rakul Preet Singh’s Plea, Actor Seeks to Implead Other Channels

first_imgNews UpdatesDelhi High Court Directs Centre to File Status Report on Actor Rakul Preet Singh’s Plea, Actor Seeks to Implead Other Channels Shreya Agarwal11 Dec 2020 4:16 AMShare This – xThe Delhi High Court today directed actor the Centre to file a status report within 3 weeks on actor Rakul Preet Singh’s petition seeking action against news channels for publishing slanderous material against her, linking her to drugs. On December 9, the News Broadcasting Standards Authority (NBSA) issued awarning in an order against the news channels Zee News, Zee 24…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginThe Delhi High Court today directed actor the Centre to file a status report within 3 weeks on actor Rakul Preet Singh’s petition seeking action against news channels for publishing slanderous material against her, linking her to drugs. On December 9, the News Broadcasting Standards Authority (NBSA) issued awarning in an order against the news channels Zee News, Zee 24 Taas, Zee Hindustani, TimesNow, India Today, AajTak, India TV, News Nation and ABP News finding them to be at fault for publishing vilifying reports against Singh in stories linking Bollywood actors to the drug mafia. The three channels of Zee Network were also asked to air a public apology for their reports against Singh. Sr. Adv. Aman Hingorani appearing for Singh today sought and was granted leave of the court to implead other news channels as well in the matter. The single judge bench of Justice Navin Chawla hearing the matter has given Singh 2 weeks’ time to file her response to the Centre’s status report. Hingorani referred to the Cable Television Network Rules and the NBSA’s order and submitted that it was ultimately upon the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting to take action, however they had passed the buck to the NBSA. He therefore sought to know from the Ministry as to what action was taken by it on Rakul’s case. Upon this, Justice Chawla asked the Centre, “Why don’t you tell us what action you’ve taken?”The NBSA in its order had directed all channels to immediately remove the offensive videos, if still available on their websites or YouTube or other links, and to report the same to the authority within 7 days.The reports were run by the channels in the context of the reporting of the Sushant Singh Rajput case. The channels claimed that Rhea Chakraborty gave a statement to the Narcotics Control Bureau that Rakul Preet Singh was involved in drugs. However, the authority found that most of these channels omitted to report the retraction statement of Rhea Chakraborty whereby she denied making any such disclosure to the NCB.Earlier, Rakul Preet Singh had approached the Delhi High Court seeking action against the channels under the Program Code framed under the Cable TV Networks(Regulation) Act.In September, the High Court, after observing that the media should exercise restraint, passed an interim order directing the NBSA to pass orders on the actor’s complaints against the reports.Following that, the NBSA, headed by former Supreme Court judge Justice A K Sikri, passed the directions.Next Storylast_img read more

Read More →