Mayor Jay Gillian: Drone Ban Appropriate to Protect Public

first_imgA fully rigged drone equipped with a GoPro camera flies over Ocean City in a 2014 demonstration.The following is Ocean City Mayor Jay Gillian’s weekly update to citizens posted on Friday, Nov. 13. (Read more: Ocean City Passes 9-Month Ban on Drones.)Dear Friends,Last night, City Council passed an ordinance banning drones and included a sunset clause on the ordinance for September 2016.  I believe this ordinance is the appropriate step to protect public safety and privacy while we wait for the FAA to develop rules for the use of drones.  With any issue we discuss as a government, there are positives and negatives.  In this case, I felt very strongly that the city needed to proactively address this issue to protect our guests, residents and businesses from potential accidents.Please remember we will be holding a Town Hall Meeting tomorrow regarding the pump station project for the neighborhood between 2nd and 8th Streets west of West Avenue.  This meeting will take place on Saturday, November 14th at 10:00 AM at the Chris Maloney Lecture Hall in the library located at 1735 Simpson Avenue.  Representatives of the design engineering firm will be present to explain the project and answer questions.The north end beach replenishment project is progressing well.  The contractor is close to finishing the northern part of the project and expects to turn the pipe to start southward this weekend. If all goes well, and weather permitting, the replenishment project may be completed by Christmas.Beginning Wednesday, November 18th we will begin on a trial basis opening the Aquatic and Fitness Center at 5:00 AM.  We are expanding the operating time at the request of several of our guests, and hope this change helps our families fit exercise into their daily schedule.I hope everyone has a great weekend.Warm regards,Jay A. GillianMayorlast_img read more

Read More →

Police appeals for information on Greeks mystery death on the Peninsula

first_imgVictoria Police set up an information caravan on the Point Nepean foreshore last week in an effort to collect new information about the death of Mavroidis (Blacky) Karpetis in December last year. Mr Karpetis’ body was discovered in grassland near Point Leo Road, Merricks at around 1pm on Christmas Day. The 78 year old Brunswick East man was last seen at his family’s Tootgarook holiday house on the afternoon of Tuesday, 23 December.Detectives from the Homicide Squad were working alongside local police to gather new information from both permanent residents and those with holiday properties in the area. Detective Senior Sergeant Stuart Bateson said police were urging one couple in particular to come forward. “On the morning of 23 December two people spoke to Mr Karpetis and his son-in-law about some windows they had left on the nature strip outside their property on Leonard Street,” he said. “Those people later returned to the property that same morning and collected the windows using a trailer. “Police are appealing for this man and woman in particular to come forward and we believe they may hold vital information for this investigation.” he added. A mannequin wearing the same style of clothing that Mr Karpetis had on at the time of his disappearance and subsequent death was also on display. A number of items belonging to Mr Karpetis have never been recovered, including a leather Esprit wallet, silver Tag watch, Samsung E250 mobile phone, a pair of sunglasses and a pair of shoes. “With the right information, solving a crime like this might only be one call away,” Det S/Sgt Bateson said. “Any information, no matter how small or insignificant you may think it is, could be crucial. “Investigators are asking that anyone who can assist with this case come to the information caravan or contact Crime Stoppers.”Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit www.crimestoppers.com.au Facebook Twitter: @NeosKosmos Instagramlast_img read more

Read More →

Gas leak prompts brief evacuation in Vancouver neighborhood

first_imgA gas leak Saturday afternoon forced the evacuation of six homes in the Burnt Bridge Creek area.Vancouver fire Capt. Scott Willis said the leak was reported just before 3 p.m. in the 4600 block of Northeast 155th Avenue. A resident reported that he had been digging a ditch in between two homes when he hit a gas line.While Northwest Natural Gas Company repaired the leak, residents in six homes were displaced for less than 30 minutes, Willis said.last_img

Read More →